|By Marketwired .||
|November 6, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
DENVER, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 11/06/12 -- EDUCAUSE -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- The University of Akron, a culturally diverse university with more than 28,000 students, located in Akron, Ohio, has implemented Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management hosted on Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research.
- The University of Akron has a robust technology infrastructure; however, with a multitude of projects in progress, the university had limited resources available to implement and maintain a traditional business intelligence environment in its data center. The university also sought to achieve operational cost efficiencies and shorten the implementation cycle by hosting the environment in the cloud.
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition provides the university with a set of reporting and ad-hoc query and analysis capabilities that The University of Akron staff can access and personalize using Oracle's pre-built dashboards.
- The University of Akron also deployed PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management solutions including Financial Analytics, Human Capital Management Warehouse and Supply Chain Analytics, which provides strategic planning and goal setting capabilities and an end-to-end reporting process, including processes that meet National Science Foundation (NSF) research reporting requirements.
- The University of Akron will leverage Oracle's business intelligence and enterprise planning solutions as it implements its Vision 2020 -- a strategic plan designed to grow enrollment, improve the learning experience and increase funding for student programs, faculty, research, campus and community.
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management add to the university's Oracle footprint, which also includes PeopleSoft Enterprise Student Financials, a component of Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management.
- The University of Akron worked with Oracle Consulting to implement its cloud environment via standard software and practices in nine months -- having launched the initial environment in July 2012. The complete implementation process will happen in three phases. The University of Akron is currently in phase two, where it will increase user counts from 30 to 125 and complete the NSF reporting functionality.
- "The University of Akron has implemented many Oracle solutions, now including Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition. We have limited internal resources currently available, and the Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research provided the university with an additional option for its strategic planning needs -- while also preserving internal capabilities to focus on core competencies," said Susan Rzyczycki, assistant vice president applications services, The University of Akron.
- "With funding shortages and a need for increased operational efficiencies, higher education institutions are seeking ways to operate more efficiently while providing their faculty, staff and students with new technologies. We believe that with Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management, hosted on Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research, The University of Akron will have greater reporting capabilities to facilitate forecasting and planning, while reducing operational expenses," said Cole Clark, global vice president, education and research industry, Oracle.
- Oracle in Higher Education
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
- Oracle's PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management
- PeopleSoft Financial Analytics
- PeopleSoft Human Capital Management Warehouse
- PeopleSoft Supply Chain Analytics
- PeopleSoft Human Capital Management
- PeopleSoft Enterprise Student Financials
- Oracle Higher Education on Facebook
- Oracle Higher Education on Diigo
- Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research Executive Summary
- Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research Solutions Brief
- Oracle Cloud Solutions for Education and Research Frequently Asked Questions
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the education and research industry, helping speed time to market, reduce costs, and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 436
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,441
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,892
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,976
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 597
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,362
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Sep. 29, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,296
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,276
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 6thInternet of @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Sep. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,702
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,164
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,901
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT de...
Sep. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,205
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Sep. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,645
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Sep. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 632
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Sep. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 394
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Sep. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,211
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, will discuss recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model f...
Sep. 29, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,090
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 29, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,711
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Sep. 29, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,421