|By Marketwired .||
|December 19, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/19/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Recognizing industry innovation and business leadership, Oracle honored Menlo Worldwide Logistics, Southwest Airlines, and The Emirates Group as winners of the 2012 Travel and Transportation Industry Excellence Awards, presented at Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco.
- The annual awards recognize successful transformation and leadership in the travel and transportation industry.
- Southwest Airlines (Southwest) -- which including its wholly owned subsidiary, AirTran Airways, serves 97 destinations in 41 states, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and six international countries with a fleet of 698 Boeing jets, wanted to restructure and expand its customer loyalty program, Rapid Rewards®.
- Southwest Airlines determined that its legacy information technology (IT) infrastructure could not support the company's vision for an expanded program, and it looked to Oracle for a solution. Southwest used Oracle's Customer Relationship Management (CRM) applications as the foundation for its All New Rapid Rewards program.
- Oracle CRM applications have enabled Southwest Airlines to gain a single view into all customer activity and interactions with the company, across all channels. It also has helped to streamline e-mail and other types of customer communications. By integrating the Oracle CRM solution with the company computer telephony integration environment, it can now identify customers based on their telephone numbers and immediately populate the agent's desktop with the customer's information before taking the call to improve the overall customer experience.
- The company uses Oracle CRM to support an expanded Rapid Rewards program that includes no black out dates, availability of every seat for reward travel, variable earn and burn capabilities, and points that do not expire.
- Customers have responded enthusiastically to the All New Rapid Rewards program, which was launched in March 2011. Southwest has achieved double-digit growth in new members over the last year. Through June 2012, the program generated more than $300 million in incremental revenue, as well as a 20 percent increase in new member acquisitions. In addition, Rapid Rewards partner revenues increased by 46 percent in the same period.
The Emirates Group
- The Emirates Group, a global provider of aviation, travel, tourism and leisure services, is spearheaded by Emirates -- one of the world's fastest growing airlines. Mercator is the Emirates Group external IT operating unit, which both serves the company's needs and provides IT services and solutions to other airlines.
- In the early 90s, The Emirates Group realized that effective revenue accounting and enterprise performance management capabilities would be key to sustained growth. The company used Oracle Database and Oracle Developer Tools to build RAPID -- a comprehensive, end-to-end solution for passenger, cargo and mail revenue accounting designed to provide airline performance metrics derived from operational data.
- While RAPID was initially designed for use within the Emirates Group, mercator has subsequently begun to provide the scalable and robust solution via a variety of deployment models -- hosted, on premise and fully outsourced -- to more than 50 airlines around the globe.
- Mercator chose Oracle's Database as the foundation for RAPID because of its robustness, scalability and security. The company relies on Oracle's Developer Tools to help it continuously and efficiently evolve the solution to meet the changing aviation industry and market needs.
- RAPID has witnessed exponential growth over the past decade and is now a leading revenue accounting solution for the industry. The solution helps Emirates and other airlines through proven, yet highly innovative revenue accounting processes, helps to improve cash flow through expanded visibility into receivables and helps to optimize profits through swift and accurate revenue earned determination. Furthermore RAPID helps to reduce revenue accounting overhead costs and boosts productivity through streamlined processes.
Menlo Worldwide Logistics
- Menlo Worldwide Logistics, a leading provider of third party logistics (3PL), transportation management, freight brokerage and supply chain services across North America, 20 countries, and five continents, looked to create an enterprise wide transportation management platform to improve visibility and optimize value for its customers. It also looked to reduce maintenance costs associated with the disparate legacy systems.
- The company standardized on the Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle Transportation Management, Oracle Database and Oracle Fusion Middleware to create a unified operating platform that supports multiple clients and services. By replacing five legacy transportation management platforms, the new system provides a cost effective technology solution that significantly improves visibility and functionality.
- Launching the new platform was critical to enabling a tier-one truck original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to support its multi-billion dollar supply chain transformation initiative. Enabled by this technology platform, Menlo and its customer are driving significant savings in logistics costs and more efficiently managing more than $300 million in transportation spend for the OEM.
- "Travel and transportation companies operate in an increasingly volatile industry, with unpredictable fuel costs, increased competition and growing compliance requirements. Innovation and operational excellence are the keys to continued profitability," said Sundar Swaminathan, director of transportation industry strategy and marketing, Oracle. "The winners of Oracle's 2012 Travel and Transportation Industry Excellence Awards demonstrate these qualities and show how ingenuity and the right technology can come together to enable enterprises to capitalize on new opportunities for growth."
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the travel and transportation industry, helping to speed time to market, reduce costs and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) provides the most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems in the world. For more information about Oracle, visit oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 1, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 720
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 6thInternet of @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jul. 1, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 513
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jul. 1, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 765
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profession...
Jul. 1, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 630
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 1, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 223
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Jul. 1, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 295
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jul. 1, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,420
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 1, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 317
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jul. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,045
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jul. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 694
Apixio Inc. has raised $19.3 million in Series D venture capital funding led by SSM Partners with participation from First Analysis, Bain Capital Ventures and Apixio’s largest angel investor. Apixio will dedicate the proceeds toward advancing and scaling products powered by its cognitive computing platform, further enabling insights for optimal patient care. The Series D funding comes as Apixio experiences strong momentum and increasing demand for its HCC Profiler solution, which mines unstruc...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 683
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 652
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 1, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 564
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 1, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,089
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 1, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 523
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 1, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,191
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 1, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 689
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 806
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 810
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 569